Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as the children of God; we become members of Christ and are incorporated into the Body of Christ, his Church. We are made also become sharers in her mission: “Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the Word”.
Baptism (Greek ‘baptizein’) means to ‘plunge’ or ‘immerse’ into water. The water symbolises the catechument’s burial into Christ’s death and resurrection to be born anew. Having receive Baptism in the Word, the person has been enlightened, they become a Son of Light.
Baptism is also called “the regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit” for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of wter and the Spirit without which no one can “enter the Kingdom of God”.
Baptism is God’s most beautiful and magnificent gift, so called it conferred on those who bring nothing of their own. Our Lord himself was baptised in the River Jordan by St John the Baptist as an act of obedience to God the Father:
13. Then Jesus came grom Galilee to John at the Jordan, in order to be baptised by him.
14. But John refused him, saying “I ought to be baptised by you, and yet you come to me?”
15. And responding, Jesus said to him: “Permit this for now. For this way it is fitting for us to fufill all justice.” Then he allowed him.
16. And Jesus, having been baptised, ascended from the water immediately, and behold, the heavens were opened to him. And he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him.
17. And behold, there was a voice from heaven, saying: “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
Children's baptism dates for 2024
14th March 2024 for March & April Baptism Preparation 7.00pm
23rd March 2024 Baptism in Church at 2.00pm
27th April 2024 Baptism in Church at 2.00pm
Please be sure to complete the baptism form (copies are available in church) is completed 3 weeks before your chosen date.
If you cannot attend the baptism preparation before the baptism date, please consider choosing another date.